These COFFEE CAKE MUFFINS are the perfect breakfast treat or a great addition to that afternoon cup of coffee! They’re moist, have a cinnamon swirl center, and are topped with the most delicious crumble! And if you’re feeling extra ambitious, you can add on the optional vanilla glaze for an even yummier treat!
How to make coffee cake muffins:
These coffee cake muffins have a few components but they are all very easy! The first part you’ll want to make is the actual coffee cake batter. The batter gets made in just one bowl by sprinkling the dry ingredients evenly over the wet and then stirring until combined.
Once you’ve made the batter, you’ll want to spoon just about 2 tablespoons into a lined muffin pan. Then mix together your cinnamon and sugar swirl mixture and sprinkle it in. You can take a toothpick and swirl it or just leave it layered as is. Then go ahead and top each muffin with the remaining batter.
After you’ve filled the muffin tins, you can make the cinnamon crumble topping (the best part!).
How to make a crumble topping for muffins:
You don’t need any special tools, just a bowl and a fork. You’ll add your dry crumble ingredients (listed below) to a bowl then drizzle in the melted butter. Toss with a fork until the flour is completely incorporated and the mixture looks like wet sand.
Top each muffin with a heaping tablespoon of crumble and you’re ready to bake!
Now if you don’t mind one more easy step, you can make the vanilla glaze to top these, already delicious coffee cake muffins! You will need powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk. Mix it together and drizzle over each muffin!
Other recipes you’ll love:
- Banana Bread Muffins
- The ULTIMATE Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Mini Mocha Muffins with Cream Cheese Spread
- TikTok’s Whipped Coffee Recipe
Coffee Cake Muffins
- muffin tin
- muffin liners or non-stick spray
- 3 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 and ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ cup melted butter
- ¾ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 and ½ cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Pre-heat your oven to 375° and line a muffin pan with paper or silicon liners. If you don't have liners, you can spray the muffin pan thoroughly with non-stick spray.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cinnamon and white sugar. Set aside. This will be the cinnamon swirl.
- In a large bowl, add your melted butter, milk, eggs, vanilla extract, and brown sugar. Whisk together until combined.
- Evenly sprinkle the all purpose flour over the wet ingredients, then the baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Whisk into the wet mixture until thoroughly combined.
- Add about 2 tablespoons of batter into each lined muffin cup then sprinkle with about a tablespoon of the cinnamon swirl mixture. You can then take a toothpick or knife and swirl the cinnamon into the batter.
- Add the remaining batter over top of the cinnamon swirl mixture. Each muffin should be filled to about ¾ to the top.
- Mix together the flour, brown and white sugar, and cinnamon. Pour the melted butter into the mixture and mix with a fork until it looked like wet sand and you no longer see white flour.
- Top each muffin with about a tablespoon of the crumble. Be sure to use it all!
- Bake the muffins in the pre-heated oven for 15-16 minutes. (A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean)
- Whisk together the powdered sugar, vanilla, and milk then drizzle over the cooled muffins.