The ULTIMATE Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake is the perfect afternoon treat or breakfast indulgence! It’s comprised of 3 main parts: the blueberry cake, the cream cheese layer, and the crumble topping – all of which are easy to prepare and well worth making! I also included a delicious lemon glaze that is optional but if you happen to have the ingredients to make it, you’ll be glad you did!
This blueberry coffee cake recipe might seen a little bit overwhelming but I promise, it’s an easy recipe. Just take it one step at a time and it’ll be ready before you know it!
How to make The ULTIMATE Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake:
The first part of this recipe is the blueberry cake layer. You’ll just need one bowl. The wet ingredients get mixed together first then the dry ingredients get sprinkled over top. Fold it all together and you’re ready to add in the star of the show – the blueberries!
Can you use frozen blueberries in this coffee cake?
Yes! If you are using frozen blueberries, do not thaw them out. They will get too soft to stir in without turning to mush. Just add them in frozen and fold them in the batter.
How to keep a crumb cake from sticking to the pan:
I made this in a 9×9 square pan that I lined with parchment AND sprayed with non-stick spray. If you need help lining your pan, this is a great tutorial on how to do that! As you can see, mine’s not perfect but it works! If you’re not planning on removing the entire cake whole from the pan, you don’t need to use the parchment paper. Just spray very generously so your individual slices come out easily.
The next part is my favorite part – the cream cheese filling. A blueberry coffee cake with cream cheese is a match made in heaven! This doesn’t make a super thick layer of cream cheese, It just adds an amazing creamy moisture to the top of the coffee cake. It’s a super simple filling with just cream cheese, an egg, vanilla, and a little sugar. It gets poured right on top of the coffee cake batter in the pan.
After adding the cheesecake layer to your coffee cake, sprinkle a few more blueberries on top. You can’t have too many…this is the ULTIMATE blueberry cream cheese coffee cake after all!
Now, it’s not a “coffee cake” without a crumb topping! Again, this part is super easy. Just take your butter, flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon and smash it together with a fork or pastry cutter until it looks like wet sand…done! Sprinkle it all over the top of your cream cheese/blueberry layer and you’re ready to bake!
How to tell when coffee cake is done:
You can check it by inserting a toothpick in the center. If it comes out almost clean it’s done – crumbs are ok…not wet batter means it’s not done. You can also tell by wiggling it just a bit. If the center is still very jiggly, it’s not done. Just be careful not to over-bake or it will dry out.
How to make an easy lemon glaze:
To make the lemon glaze, all you have to do is add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 3/4 cup powdered sugar. Stir together and drizzle over the cooled coffee cake!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Peach and Blueberry Cobbler
- Cinnamon Crunch Banana Bread
- Strawberry Coffee Cake
- Overnight Cinnamon Rolls – with cream cheese icing
The ULTIMATE Blueberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Hand Mixer
- Parchment paper or non-stick spray
- 9x9 square baking dish
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- 1 stick softened salted butter (½ cup)
- ¾ cup white sugar
- 2 large large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup whole or 2% milk
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
Cream Cheese Filling
- 8 ounces softened cream cheese
- ⅓ cup white sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup blueberries
- ¼ cup softened butter (4 tablespoons)
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Optional Lemon Glaze
- ¾ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
Blueberry Coffee Cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° and line a 9x9 square dish with parchment paper or spray with non-stick spray.
- Add your softened butter and sugar to a large bowl and cream together for 2 minutes using a hand mixer.
- Add in the eggs, vanilla, and milk and beat again to combine.
- Sprinkle the top of the mixture with the all purpose flour, then sprinkle the baking powder over the flour.
- Fold the mixture together with a spatula just until you see no more white flour. Do not over-mix.
- Add in 1 cup of blueberries and gently fold in to the mixture. Spread into the prepared pan and set aside.
Cream Cheese filling
- Using the hand mixer, beat together the cream cheese and sugar until smooth.
- Add in the egg and vanilla and beat again until combined.
- Spread over the cake layer in the pan and top with ½ cup more blueberries.
- Add all of the crumble ingredients to a small bowl.
- Press the mixture into the butter while you stir. You can use a fork for this or a pastry cutter.
- Keep mixing and pressing until your mixture looks like crumbles of wet sand.
- Add the crumble to the top of the cream cheese/blueberry layer.
- Bake the blueberry coffee cake on the center oven rack for 45-50 minutes. You'll know when It's done when you can insert a toothpick in the center and it comes out clean. You may have a couple crumbs on the toothpick from the cream cheese layer but It should not be wet.Be careful not to over-bake of the cake can dry out.
Optional Lemon Glaze
- Stir together the powdered sugar and lemon juice then drizzle over the cooled cake.