I made these mini mocha muffins again last night and I CANNOT STOP EATING them…and neither can my family!! As we know, the combination of coffee and chocolate is a match made in heaven and these little mocha babies are filled with mini chocolate chips and a they have hint of coffee flavor. They are insanely moist and perfect for taking to a brunch or just any ol’ random time you feel like eating the best muffins ever!
And let’s talk about the mocha cream cheese spread. It’s not too sweet but has that cream cheese bite that balances out the sweetness of the muffins perfectly! The muffins can definitely stand alone but why would you not make the spread?! I mean, it’s cream cheese…and more chocolate!
Mini Mocha Muffins with Cream Cheese Spread
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsp instant coffee
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup melted butter (one stick)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup mini chocolate chips
Mocha Cream Cheese Spread
- 4 ounces cream cheese (cut into cubes)
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp instant coffee
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup mini chocolate chips
- 1 Tbsp milk
For the Muffins
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together your milk and the instant coffee granules and set it aside to dissolve.
- In a small bowl, whisk together your dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, salt and set aside
- Now in the bowl with the milk and coffee, add the melted butter, egg, and vanilla and whisk everything together.
- Add the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir together just until combined then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Spray a mini muffin pan with non-stick spray fill each spot with 1 heaping tablespoon of batter.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
For the Cream Cheese Spread
- If you have a small food processor, combine all of the ingredients and blend until combined. (It's ok if there's still chunks of chocolate)
- If you do not have a food processor, soften the cream cheese (you can microwave it for about 20 seconds) and add all the ingredients to a small bowl and use a spoon or hand mixer to blend together.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home