Banana Bread Muffins are such a simple yet comforting treat and are a great way to use up those brown bananas. There’s just something about the combination of banana and cinnamon that makes my heart happy!
These banana bread muffins also have a cinnamon streusel topping that just puts the magic touch on top! The cinnamon topping is optional but is one of my favorite parts. If I’m in a hurry, I do sometimes leave the topping off and these muffins are still great but the topping just takes them from great to AMAZING!
How to make banana bread muffins:
- First you want to make sure that you have 3 very ripe bananas. The ones that are so brown and falling apart that it gives you heebie-jeebies to hold them…those are perfect! 🙂
- The first step to making banana bread muffins is to grease or line a muffin tin and pre-heat your oven to a high heat. I pre-heat at 425. The temperature will get lowered when the muffins go in but the initial burst of a higher heat will cause the muffins to rise higher.
- Next you’ll mix together the dry ingredients, mix together the wet ingredients, and combine them together into a glorious banana batter.
- Once the batter is made, you can fill your muffin tins. I sprayed mine with cooking spray but you can also use these awesome silicon liners that nothing sticks to!
- Now here comes the good stuff – the cinnamon topping! Add the ingredients to a small bowl (which I forgot to photograph…oops) and just press in the butter using a fork until the mixture looks something like wet sand. It doesn’t need to be perfect. Add the topping to each muffin tin.
- The last step is popping these in the oven, lowering the heat from 425 to 350 and then baking for about 25 minutes. You can enjoy them as soon as they’re cool enough to handle!
Banana Bread Muffins
- 1 and 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 large very ripe bananas
- 1 large egg
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons salted butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
Cinnamon Streusel Topping
- 1/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons softened butter
- Pre-heat your oven to 425 and prepare a 12 count muffin pan. You can either spray with non-stick spray or use muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, mix together the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- In a larger bowl, mash the bananas then whisk in the egg, brown sugar, melted butter, milk, and vanilla extract.
- Add the dry ingredients to the large bowl with the wet ingredients and stir to combine.
- Evenly fill the muffin pans. You should have just enough to make 12 muffins, filled a little over half way each.
- To make the cinnamon topping, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and mash together with a fork until the mixture resembles wet sand.
- Sprinkle the tops of each muffin with the cinnamon sugar mixture.
- Place in the oven and immediately lower the temperature to 350 degrees and bake for 22-25 minutes.