These Screaming Halloween Donuts are such a fun Halloween dessert or even a breakfast treat! They’re made with canned biscuit dough and sprinkled with cinnamon and powdered sugar then dipped in jelly for more spooky fun!
How to shape the biscuit dough:
Open the can of biscuits (already scary!) and separate each one. Take one biscuit at a time and flatten it out into an oval shape. You can just do this with your hands.
To make the screaming ghost face:
I have mini cookie cutters that I use to cut out circles. If you don’t have cookie cutters, you can get creative and use anything small and round that you find. Or you can just poke out holes with your fingers. They don’t need to be perfect!
After making the holes, you can stretch them out a little more to make the “screaming” ghost face. I like to squish the scraps together and make one last face with them. You could also just use the scraps to make little donut holes or testers to check your oil temp.
How to fry canned biscuits:
It’s easy! Just fill your pan 1 inch deep with canola oil and heat over medium heat. You want the dough to bubble as soon as you put it in so make sure to get the oil hot before you start adding donuts.
Add your little tortured souls to the hot oil and cook until golden brown on the bottom, then flip and cook the opposite side.
When you take them out of the oil, you can either drain them on paper towels or a rack. I like to use a rack to keep the bottom of the donut from getting soggy but if you don’t have one, just use paper towels or even a paper grocery bag.
It cracks me up how they all look like different little personalties! And the guy on the bottom right looks pretty angry LOL!
You’ll want to let them cool almost completely before adding the powdered sugar/cinnamon to them. Just mix the sugar and cinnamon together then sift over each donut. I like to add sugar to both sides. You could even add a little pumpkin spice to the sugar if you’re a pumpkin fan!
You can serve these with strawberry jelly or pie filling to dip them in. It just adds another spooky touch to these screaming halloween donuts.
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Mummy Cookie Pops
- Pumpkin Bread Machine Recipe
- Cinnamon Sugar Banana Donuts
- Cream Cheese Apple Pie Dip
Screaming Halloween Donuts
- 1 can of grands refrigerated biscuit dough (8-count...not flaky)
- 4-5 cups canola oil (enough to cover your pan 1 inch deep)
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup strawberry jelly for dipping (optional)
- Pour enough oil in your pan so it's at least 1" deep and heat over medium heat.
- While the oil is heating, you can separate the biscuits, flatten and stretch them out.
- Cut 3 holes into each biscuit to make the face then stretch the dough out again until you have the spooky face shape you're happy with.
- Gently place the donuts into the hot oil, cook each side for about 1-2 minutes or until lightly golden.
- After cooking, set aside on a rack or paper towel to cool.
- Once the donuts are cooled, you can mix together the powdered sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle each donut.
- Serve as-is or with the jelly for dipping and enjoy your spooky treat!