This easy taco soup is a one pot weeknight wonder that’s hearty, family-friendly and packed with flavor.
This soup reminds me of those taco kits my mom used to buy growing up. You know, the ones with the crunchy shells that always broke apart in your hand and made a mess. The best, right?
Well this soup is hardly any more trouble than a taco kit, and it’s ready in about 30 minutes. You can serve ir with tortilla or corn chips if you miss that crunchy shell!
Taco Soup Tips
- I usually use a store bought taco seasoning when making this soup, to keep things super simple, but you can make your own homemade blend if you prefer. You’ll need about 2 tablespoons or one whole packet of store bought seasoning.
- I also like to add in a little extra cumin, but feel free to adjust the seasoning to taste. A minced chipotle chile canned in adobo adds some extra heat and flavor, but this is optional.
- You can also make this soup as thick or brothy as you like. Some people prefer the thickness of a chili, but I prefer a, well, soupier soup. If you like it thicker, reduce the broth to 2 cups. You can always adjust from there. Leftovers tend to thicken as they cool too, so I like to add extra broth when re-heating.
- Feel free to sneak in some extra veggies! Chopped bell peppers can be cooked along with the onion, as could finely diced carrot and celery.
- You can also substitute the ground beef for ground turkey to make a lighter version.
How to Make this Easy Taco Soup:
- Chop up some onion and garlic.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 3-4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds longer.
3. Add the ground beef, taco seasoning, cumin, salt and pepper.
4. Cook, stirring occasionally until browned and cooked through.
5. Add red kidney beans, cannellini beans, corn, crushed and diced tomatoes, chicken broth, and stir to combine.
6. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper if necessary.
Serve with your favorite toppings
Some good options:
- Sour cream
- Grated cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Sliced green onions
- Chopped cilantro
- Sliced jalapeno
- Wedge of lime
- Corn chips or tortilla chips
- Diced Avocado
Easy Taco Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 packet taco seasoning (2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 15 oz can canellini beans
- 1 15 oz can red kidney beans
- 1 cup frozen corn or one 15-oz can, drained
- 3 cups chicken broth *see note
- 1 15 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Topping suggestions: sour cream, grated cheese, cilantro or sliced green onions, avocado, and tortilla chips for serving
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add the garlic and stir until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the ground beef, taco seasoning, and cumin, and cook, stirring occasionally until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the cannelini beans, red kidney beans, corn, broth, crushed and diced tomatoes, and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Hi! I’m Ann and I blog at Our Happy Mess. I’m all about fast, fresh, and family-friendly recipes. I believe cooking from scratch can not only be doable but FUN, no matter how busy life gets!
You can find more of my recipes at Our Happy Mess.