This truly is The Best Sausage Gravy for Biscuits! This sausage gravy is perfectly seasoned, super easy, and makes the best biscuit topping ever!
If you’re looking for the biscuit recipe that we use, you can find that here. It makes 6-7 biscuits which is the perfect amount for this sausage gravy recipe.
Ingredients for the best sausage gravy:
- Breakfast sausage
- Seasonings: salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder
This really is a simple recipe to make. It starts by browning the sausage. We use a mild breakfast sausage because our kids eat it but you could also make this with a spicy breakfast sausage. You can just break it up with a spatula (or even your hands before you turn the stove on).
Once the sausage is cooked, all you have to do is add in the flour, milk, and seasonings and let it thicken. It’s soooo easy! I honestly didn’t realize how easy sausage gravy was to make until a few years ago. The key to making it THE BEST sausage gravy though, is the seasonings. You HAVE to season the gravy. It makes a world of difference!
And that’s it, you can serve it immediately over biscuits or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
The Best Sausage Gravy for Biscuits
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (We use mild)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk (whole or 2% are best)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 6-8 biscuits for serving (RECIPE HERE)
- Heat a skillet (I use a cast iron) over medium heat.
- Add in the breakfast sausage and break it up into smaller bits. Cook until fully browned.
- Sprinkle the flour over the cooked sausage and combine until you see no more white. Cook for another 2 minutes.
- Slowly pour in the milk and seasonings and bring to a simmer. Allow the gravy to bubble for about 10 minutes. It should be nice and thick when finished.
- Serve over warmed biscuits and enjoy!