This chunky, flavorful sausage and tortellini soup in a creamy tomato broth is comforting, delicious, and ready in less than 30 minutes!
The first time I made this soup was last fall as an early pre-trick-or-treating dinner. Believe it or not, it was a bigger hit with the whole family than the classic Halloween night takeout pizza! I think we have a new tradition.
This soup seriously couldn’t be quicker or easier to make. Here’s how it’s done.
How to Make Creamy Sausage and Tortellini Soup Step-by-Step
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add the diced onion and cook until softened.
- Add garlic and dried oregano and cook until fragrant, one more minute.
- Add the sausage and salt, breaking it up with a spoon, and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes.
- Stir in the flour and cook for 1 more minute.
5. Stir in the whole tomatoes, breaking them up with a spoon. You can used diced or crushed tomatoes if you prefer.
6. Add the broth and bring to a boil.
7. Add the tortellini and cook for the amount of time indicated on the package. You can use fresh or frozen tortellini. If using frozen, add a few more minutes, until the pasta is tender.
8. Stir in the cream and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Ladle into bowls and sprinkle with chopped fresh basil and parmesan.
What to serve with this sausage and tortellini soup
A simple green salad is great, if you want to add some vegetables. Or for a complete Italian-inspired meal, serve it with some bruschetta with mozzarella on the side!
How to store the soup
This soup will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
If you’d like to freeze it, it’s best to freeze the base before adding the pasta and cream, otherwise the pasta will be mushy once defrosted, and the cream may separate. Simply thaw and re-heat the base, and add the tortellini and cream as indicated in the recipe.
But to be honest, it doesn’t take much longer to make from scratch than it would to re-heat from frozen!
Sausage and Tortellini Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 28 oz can whole tomatoes or diced or crushed tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 12 oz package cheese tortellini *see note
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- more salt and pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese grated
- fresh basil chopped
- In a large pot or dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened.
- Stir in the minced garlic and dried oregano and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute longer.
- Add the Italian sausage and salt and cook, breaking up with a wooden spoon or spatula, until browned. Stir in the flour and cook one more minute.
- Add the tomatoes, breaking them up into chunks with a spoon. Add the stock and bring to a boil.
- Add the tortellini and simmer for the amount of time indicated on the package. Stir in the cream, and season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Ladle into bowls and garnish with grated parmesan and chopped fresh basil.
Hi! I’m Ann and I blog at Our Happy Mess. I’m all about fast, fresh, and family-friendly recipes. I believe cooking from scratch can not only be doable but FUN, no matter how busy life gets!
You can find more of my recipes at Our Happy Mess.