These Salted Chocolate Brownie Cookies are so chewy and chocolatey! They’re made in just one bowl, and no chilling or softening butter required! The sea salt flakes add an extra pop of flavor making these absolutely irresistible!
These brownie cookies start out with melted salted butter. I love this because I never remember to soften butter for cookies and this just leaves one less step until you’re enjoying these cookies!
After melting the butter, you can add the next round of ingredients (everything except the flour, chocolate chips, and baking powder). Use a whisk to make sure everything is mixed well and the egg is fully incorporated.
These cookies are also made with instant coffee in the mix. And you might be wondering if that will make the cookies have a coffee flavor. The answer is nope! They won’t taste like coffee at all but the coffee powder just adds a bit more richness to the chocolate flavor. If you don’t have any coffee powder, you can certainly make these without it. But I’d highly recommend grabbing some for next time. 🙂
After mixing the wet ingredients, it’s time to switch to a spatula and ditch the whisk. You can sprinkle the dry ingredients right on top of the wet and stir to make sure everything is combined.
You can tell in the photo above how thick this batter is. That’s what helps these cookies keep their shape. They don’t spread very much in the oven so you only need to space them about an inch and a half apart. When I scoop these onto the cookie sheet, I like to use a cookie scoop to keep them nice and uniform. If you don’t have one, these are 2 tablespoons or about the size of a golf ball.
Once you’ve scooped your cookies on to the baking sheet, you can add a few extra chocolate chips on top. This is also when I sprinkle the salt.
What kind of salt is best for salting cookies?
I am obsessed with Maldon sea salt flakes so that’s what I use for these cookies. It’s flaky, light, and not overly “salty” like a table salt tends to be. If you don’t have Maldon salt, you can use any flaky sea salt.
After salting your cookies, they’re ready for the oven! These will be done in about 10-11 minutes. You don’t want to over-bake them or they can dry out so just keep an eye on them.
After baking, let them cool for about 15 minutes on the cookie sheet or you can transfer them to a cooling rack after about 5 minutes. If you’re inpatient (like me) you can use a spatula to scoop the warm cookies into a bowl and top with vanilla ice cream to cool them off! Just look how ooey-gooey they are!
Other Recipes You Might Like:
- Caramel Cornflake No-Bake Cookies
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Chocolate Cookies
- Strawberry Pretzel Salad (Dessert)
- Dark Chocolate Peppermint Fudge
Salted Chocolate Brownie Cookies
- Parchment Paper
- Baking sheet
- 11 tablespoons salted butter (melted)
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 and ½ cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 heaping cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 teaspoons sea salt flakes for topping
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add your butter to a large glass bowl and melt in the microwave. (Mine takes about 1 minutes to partially melt and then I stir to fully melt the rest)
- Once melted, add in the white and brown sugars, coffee powder, and cocoa powder. Stir with a whisk to combine.
- Next, add in the egg, and the vanilla extract and whisk until the egg is fully incorporated.
- Sprinkle in the flour, baking powder, and chocolate chips. Use a sturdy spatula to combine just until you no longer see white flour. Do not over-mix.
- Use a cookie scoop to place cookies onto the baking sheet. These don't spread much so you only need to place them about 1 and ½ inches apart. (If you don't have a scoop, these are about 2 tablespoons or about the size of a golf ball.)
- Once on the baking sheet, you can sprinkle a pinch of the sea salt on each cookie. I also like to add a few extra chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 10-11 minutes then remove from the oven and let cool for about 15 on the baking sheet.