If you’ve landed on this easy cheesy lasagna recipe page and you’re wondering if you should make this lasagna, let me just say this one thing…both my husband and I have eaten this 3 days in a row and we still aren’t sick of it! This lasagna has an amazing hearty meat sauce, a ricotta cheese sauce that’s rich and isn’t runny, and best of all, you don’t have to boil the noodles!
You can make this in a large 9×13 pan and feed a crowd, or have leftovers for the week’s lunch, or you can even make it in 2 smaller pans and freeze one for later!
It starts with the meat sauce that’s full of flavor from peppers and onions and easy to throw together. It’s basically a beefed up (literally) jarred sauce. 🙂
The ricotta cheese sauce is put together with mozzarella and eggs (to keep it from running) and it makes this lasagna so decadent and yummy!!
After you’ve made the sauces, you can start layering. And here’s a tip – you don’t have to buy “no-boil” noodles. You can just layer in regular ol’ uncooked, hard lasagna noodles and they will soften up perfectly while the lasagna cooks in the oven! Yeah, those are thick slices of provolone cheese up there!! They give the lasagna that extra ooey gooey melty cheesy-ness that we all know and love!! Once you’ve layered everything twice, you top it with more cheese and pop it in the oven and enjoy!! I wish I hadn’t eaten it all already because writing this is really making me want to dig into another bite!
Easy Cheesy Lasagna
- 1 box lasagna noodles
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1.5 - 2 lbs ground beef (you could also use turkey)
- 1 small yellow onion (finely chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 3 large garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 32 ounce jar of marinara sauce
- 32 ounces ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese (plus about 1/2 cup extra for topping)
- 12 slices of provolone cheese
- First pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees. We won't be boiling any noodles (hallelujah) so you can get right to the sauce!!
Making the Sauce
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium/high heat and add in the meat, onion, pepper, garlic, salt, and pepper. Cook until the meat is completely browned. (about 5-7 minutes)
- Drain the beef (if necessary) then turn off the heat and add in the marinara sauce. Stir to combine.
Making the Ricotta Filling
- In a large bowl, add the ricotta cheese, 2 eggs, and 2 cups of the mozzarella cheese. Beat together with a hand mixer or a spatula. (The mixer makes this so much easier!)
Layering and Baking
- Spray your pan with non-stick spray (to save your sanity later) and then add a couple spoonfuls of the meat sauce to the bottom of the pan.
- Then add your noodles. I don't even buy the "no-bake" noodles. You can use regular noodles and the heat from the oven will cook them just fine. Break them up as you need to fit your pan.
- Take half of the ricotta mixture and spread it over the noodles.
- Then take 6 of your provolone cheese slices and lay them over the ricotta mixture.
- Repeat the layers (sauce, noodles, ricotta, provolone) and end with a layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle the extra mozzarella cheese over the top of the last layer of the sauce.
- Cover with aluminum foil. (I spray the aluminum foil with non-stick spray before putting it on so it doesn't stick and pull the cheese off)
- Bake for 45 minutes covered, and then remove the foil and bake for 15 more minutes.