This post is sponsored by Nature Nate’s. All opinions are entirely my own.
This sweet skillet cornbread is made with both honey and butter making it almost cake-like! You won’t find a dry or grainy cornbread here! This is a moist, sweet version that you’ll be making over and over!
How to sweeten cornbread:
This cornbread is sweetened with Nature Nate’s honey and just a touch of sugar. There’s something about honey and cornbread that are just a match made in heaven! I find that using honey also keeps the texture smoother and less dry than using only sugar.
I like to use honey whenever applicable to sweeten things and Nature Nate’s is the number-one branded honey company in the U.S. for good reason! It’s 100% pure, raw and unfiltered honey!
How to make sweet skillet cornbread:
- The first thing you want to do is add about a tablespoon of oil to your cast iron pan and use a paper towel to coat the bottom and all of the sides. Then you can place it in the oven to pre-heat as the oven pre-heats. Using a hot pan gives the cornbread those coveted crispy edges! (Note: if you don’t have a cast-iron skillet, you can make this in a 9×9 or 8×8 square metal baking dish)
- The next part is making the actual cornbread and it’s super easy and only takes 1 bowl! The milk, eggs, melted butter, sugar, and honey all go in a get whisked together. Here’s a little tip for pouring honey: spray your measuring cup first with non-stick spray then add the honey. The honey will slide right out and you’ll get every last drop!
- After combining the wet ingredients, you can sprinkle the dry ingredients right over top! I realize this is probably frowned upon by “real” bakers but it works every time…I promise!
- Once the batter is completely smooth, you can add in the corn kernels. I would recommend using canned/drained corn. I’ve made this with frozen corn before (and while it can be done) the frozen corn tends to mess up the cooking time since you’re bringing down the temperature of the batter.
- Now, CAREFULLY remove the skillet from the oven using oven-mitts and place it somewhere heat-proof (like the stove-top). Pour the batter into the hot skillet and place the skillet back into the oven. Set a timer for 20 minutes and bake until golden brown or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once the pan is cool enough to handle, you can slice into pie-shaped wedges and serve with butter and a little extra drizzle of Nature Nate’s Honey!
Sweet Skillet Cornbread
- 9" Cast iron skillet (or 8x8 or 9x9 baking dish)
- 1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil (Just enough to coat the skillet)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk (any % is fine)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup honey (We love Nature Nates!)
- 1/2 cup melted salted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup corn
- Coat the inside of your cast iron skillet with oil and place in the oven. Pre-heat both the oven and the pan to 375°.
- Wisk together the eggs, milk, sugar, melted butter, and honey.
- Sprinkle the top of the wet mixture with the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. Mix everything together until there are no more lumps.
- Fold in the corn kernels.
- Carefully remove the skillet from the oven and and add the batter.
- Place the filled skillet back in the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Once cool enough to handle but still warm, cut the cornbread into pie shaped wedges and serve with a butter and an extra drizzle of honey!