Making ice cream can sound like a daunting task but this Strawberry Ice Cream in a Bag is so easy and the kids love to help! You don’t need an ice cream maker and it’s made with simple ingredients. You can also customize this base to make any flavor you’d like! The possibilities are endless!
How to make ice cream in a bag:
The fist step is adding the base ingredients to a large zip-top bag. I chose to make this with strawberries but you can add in anything you’d like at this point, chocolate chips, sprinkles…!
The next step is to fill a separate bag with ice and salt. In non-science terms, the salt helps the ice get colder and is what helps turn the base into ice cream. You can then place the sealed ice cream bag into the ice bag. Seal the ice bag and shake, shake, shake!
The kids love to help with making this Strawberry Ice Cream in a Bag but just a warming, their little hands will get VERY cold. Mine like to put on mittens or oven mitts to help shake the bag.
The bag gets shaken until the ice is melted then you can discard the outer bag. You can grab a spoon and dig in (ours never makes it to the freezer) or if you like a harder ice cream, you can place it in a freezer safe container and freeze for at least 2 hours.
Strawberry Ice Cream in a Bag
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup chopped strawberries
- 2-3 drops red food coloring (optional)
- 4 cups ice
- 1/2 cup kosher salt
- Add the cream, milk, vanilla, sugar, and strawberries to a large zip-top bag and seal to close.
- In a separate large zip-top bag, add the ice and the salt.
- Place the sealed bag with the cream mixture into the bag with the ice. Seal the ice bag.
- Shake the bags until the ice is almost completely melted. (You may want to put on oven mitts since the bag gets very cold).
- Check the bag after the ice has melted and you should have ice cream!! Enjoy as a soft ice cream, or place in the freezer for at least 2 hours for it to harden.