This Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice French Toast is such an easy and comforting Fall breakfast or dessert treat! It’s so easy to make and also makes the house smell amazing while it’s cooking!
I love anything that tastes great and makes my home feel cozy so this recipe is a win win! My favorite way to serve this is when we have “breakfast for dinner” nights. We pair it some bacon and fruit on the side and it’s a perfect meal!
So here’s how to make Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice French Toast:
What kind of bread can you use for french toast:
You want to use a bread that is thick and can stand up to being soaked in liquid and not fall apart. These are some great options:
- French bread
- Challah Bread
- Brioche bread
- Texas toast
You’ll first start by cutting the bread into 1″ cubes. I like to use bread that’s a couple days old so it’s slightly stale and won’t get as mushy. If you have fresh bread and want to give it a little more “bite”, you can toast your bread cubes in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes. If you like a softer bread pudding, just use fresh bread.
Once you’ve cubed and (possibly) toasted your bread cubes, place them in a well greased slow cooker.
Once the bread is in the slow cooker, mix in the pecans and dollop in the cream cheese. I just like to break the cream cheese up with my fingers and place little bits in between the bread cubes.
Then you’ll want to mix up your wet ingredients. Just add everything except the cream cheese and pecans to a large bowl, whisk it together until combined. Pour the wet mixture over the bread in the slow cooker. I like to then take my hands and press down the bread so the liquid soaks into every piece.
You can then cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 4 hours.
After everything has cooked, you can serve immediately. The bread pudding itself isn’t overly sweet so feel free to liberally sprinkle with powdered sugar and maple syrup and dig in!
Slow Cooker Pumpkin Spice French Toast
- Slow Cooker
- Non-stick spray
- 1 loaf French bread
- 6 eggs
- 1 and 3/4 cups milk
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice seasoning
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)
- Maple syrup and powdered sugar for serving
- Slice your loaf of bread into 1 inch cubes. (I like to use stale bread to give it a little bit more bite and keep it from becoming too mushy. You can also toast your bread in the oven at 350 for 15 minutes to firm it up if you'd like but it's not necessary.)
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, pumpkin, pumpkin spice, cinnamon, vanilla, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Add the bread cubes and pecans to the bowl and toss gently to coat the bread in the liquid.
- Spray the slow cooker generously with non-stick spray.
- Pour in the soaked bread and cut the cream cheese into small bits and add them intermittently between the bread cubes.
- Cook on low for 4 hours and serve warm with maple syrup and powdered sugar.