Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake (With coconut, pecan topping)…you might be thinking that sounds like a whole lot of flavors going on. Well I promise you that they all go together AMAZINGLY!! We all know pumpkin, cream cheese, and pecans are a marriage made in heaven. But, I had never seen a pumpkin recipe that also included coconut so I was intrigued. I tweaked it a bit and the results were one of the best pumpkin desserts I’ve had! When you try it, you’ll see why it works so well!
The pumpkin cake is sweet but not overly sweet and the sugar coconut pecan topping goes perfectly on top of the cream cheese filling. I’m not sure if this is better for dessert or breakfast but I can let you know that I had it for both!
I know the recipe looks a little longer that what I usually post and it looks like a long list of ingredients but it comes together so easily. It can be whipped together in no more than 15 minutes and then just popped in the oven to bake. You will definitely be happy you made it!
Funny thing is, I’ve actually never even been a big coconut lover but I can’t imagine making this cake without it! It gives the topping a moist and crunchy burst of sweetness!
Pumpkin Cream Cheese Cake (With coconut, pecan topping)
For the Pumpkin Cake
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 and 1/4 cup canned pumpkin
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
For the cream cheese filling
- 8 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
For the topping
- 3/4 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 tbsp melted butter
Making the pumpkin cake
- Pre-heat your oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs, pumpkin, oil, and vanilla extract.
- In the same large bowl, sprinkle the flour over the pumpkin mixture, then sprinkle the top of the flour with the cinnamon, pumpkin spice, baking soda, and salt.
- Mix everything together until just combined.
- Pour into a greased 9x13 pan.
Making the cream cheese filling
- Add all ingredients together in a small bowl and beat until combined. Drop spoonfuls over the pumpkin mixture and swirl around with a dinner knife or spoon.
Making the topping
- Combine all of the topping ingredients together and toss until coated in the butter. Sprinkle on top of the cream cheese/pumpkin cake.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes.