This pot roast is one of those dishes that I make over and over for my family. First of all, it’s a slow cooker meal so it’s super easy. Second of all, it has AMAZING amounts of flavor! The meat falls apart so easily and the potatoes and carrots are so tender they basically melt in your mouth. And the gravy that it makes…I could drink it with a straw!
I actually have a pot roast cooking as I type this and the smell is filling up my whole house and torturing me until dinner time. When I used to work outside the home I would set the slow cooker before work and come right home to eat. Now that I’m home with my little ones, I smell it all day and pray that dinner time gets here quickly!!
I promise if you make this pot roast, your family will be singing your praises and it will become a family staple in your home! (And they will never know how easy it was!)
PS. Make sure you LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE so you never miss a recipe!!
Tip: You can quickly prepare this the night before and just leave it in the fridge over night. Pop it in the slow cooker in the morning and it’ll be ready for dinner!
First take your roast and rub it down with the salt and pepper and place it in your slow cooker fat side up. The fat will melt into the meat slightly and give it more moisture. Also, by having it on the top, you can remove it at the end if you don’t like to serve that part. (Sorry mom, I don’t sear the meat.) I know she’s cringing but I find it tastes just as good and I’m all about making things as simply as possible!
Now about my slow cookers..I actually own three slow cookers and each serves a purpose. I don’t waste valuable pantry space on things I don’t use! So I have THIS medium sized one for smaller things like chicken breasts or meatballs. Then I have a baby one like THIS for dips and cheeses. It’s actually my favorite one because it’s so cute and it’s great for party foods! and THIS large one that I’m making the roast in. I like to find the biggest roast in the grocery store so that I can have lots of leftovers and I need a large crock-pot for that.
Ok back to the roast! Add your halved potatoes, carrots, chopped onion, and garlic to the slow cooker. Just tuck it down all around the meat. Thank you Coco for always helping me!
Now in a separate bowl, whisk together your 2 cans of mushroom soup and the beef broth.
Dump the liquid into the slow cooker. I also added a cup of water to my slow cooker because the liquid didn’t quite cover my giant roast but you don’t need to unless your roast is sticking out too much. Tie your three springs or oregano together with kitchen twine and toss them right on top. I tie them so I can easily find them and pull them out at the end. If you don’t have fresh oregano, just use 1/2 teaspoon of dried and sprinkle it in. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of pepper over everything as well.
Now put the lid on your slow cooker and either place it in the fridge until you’re ready to cook it or go ahead and set it on high for at least 8 hours. I always prepare mine at night and then put it to cook first thing in the morning.
When it’s done cooking, open the lid and using tongs, scrape off that layer of fat and discard. It will come off very easily. Then using the same tongs, take the meat out and place it in a serving dish. The meat WILL fall apart as you remove it. That’s a good thing 🙂 Then using a slotted spoon, scoop out your veggies and place them around the meat. Your slow cooker should now just have the gravy in it. You don’t have to, but I like to thicken my gravy up a bit.
Here’s how to thicken your gravy: in a small bowl or cup take 1/4 cup of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of cold water and stir together with a fork until there are no lumps. Add the cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker with the gravy and stir together. Let it cook for about 5 minutes and then either pour it over the roast or add it to a gravy boat. 🙂
This Pot Roast goes great with my GARLIC CREAM CHEESE MASHED POTATOES!
- 1 bottom round roast (find one that will fit your slow cooker)
- salt & pepper
- 1 28 ounce bag of honey gold potatoes
- 1 lb baby carrots
- 32 ounces beef broth
- 2 cans cream of mushroom soup (10.5 ounce cans)
- 4 large garlic cloves - chopped
- 1 yellow onion - chopped
- 3 springs of fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon of dried
- Rub your roast with 1 tablespoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of pepper.
- Place the roast in your slow cooker. (fat side up)
- Cut your potatoes in half and toss them in. (No need to peel them!)
- Toss in your carrots and your chopped onion and chopped garlic.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together your mushroom soup and beef broth.
- Pour the soup mixture over the roast.
- Add in your oregano (either fresh or dried). If using fresh oregano, tie your sprigs together so you can fish them out later.
- Sprinkle in 2 teaspoons of salt and 1 teaspoon of black pepper.
- Cover and cook on high in the slow cooker for at least 8 hours.
- After the 8 hours, you can shred the roast. I like to remove the fatty top. You can do this by just using tongs and pulling it off and discarding it. Then using 2 forks, just shred the meat into smaller pieces of your preference.
- See recipes notes for instructions on how to thicken your gravy.
In a small bowl or cup take 1/4 cup of cornstarch and 1/2 cup of cold water and stir together with a fork until there are no lumps. Add the cornstarch mixture to the slow cooker with the gravy and stir together. Let it cook for about 5 minutes and then either pour it over the roast or add it to a gravy boat.