Poppy seed chicken is something I have been eating since I was a kid and It’s always been one of my favorite comfort food meals! There are so many variations that you can make to this recipe like adding in veggies, rice, or noodles, but it’s perfect even without any extras! The sauce is so rich and creamy and the Ritz cracker topping is so buttery and crunchy! I like to make it with rice in the bottom of the dish to soak up some of that sauce. This might be called poppy seed chicken, but the sauce is totally the star of this dish. (Sorry little poppy seeds) 🙂 My family goes crazy for this stuff!
Poppy Seed Chicken
- 4 chicken breasts (Cut into bite sized pieces)
- 1 tsp each salt, pepper, garlic powder (divided)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 10.5 ounce cans of cream of chicken soup
- 24 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups ritz crackers (crushed)
- 6 tbsp melted butter
- 4 tsp poppy seeds (divided)
- 4 cups cooked rice (optional but super yummy)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- If you would like to add the rice to the bottom of the casserole, layer it on the bottom of your 9x13 casserole dish first. *You can use leftover rice or one of the quick microwavable bags of rice. No need to make it fancy!
- Cut your chicken into bit size pieces and season with 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, and 1/2 tsp garlic powder.
- Heat a large sauté pan and cook your chicken on medium heat until it's just cooked throughout. Make sure not to over cook since it's going back in the oven.
- Add your chicken to the casserole pan on top of the rice (if you're making this with rice) or just add it to the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together your sour cream and **cream of chicken soup, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp pepper, and 1/2 tsp, garlic powder and 2 tsp of poppy seeds. Once combined, spread this on top of the chicken. (This is why the rice is so great! It mixes with all that yummy sauce!)
- In a small bowl, mix together your crushed ritz crackers, melted butter, and ***poppy seeds. Sprinkle this on the top of the casserole.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes until the top gets a little browned. I let it cool for about 15 minutes before serving. ENJOY!!