You can never have too many chicken recipes on hand right!? Well this parmesan crusted chicken with pan gravy is definitely a keeper that you’ll be making over and over! The chicken is crispy on the outside juicy on the inside and the garlicky gravy adds even a bigger punch of flavor.
The gravy gets made in the same pan that you cooked the chicken in and is so quick and easy! I seriously drench everything in this gravy! Green beans soaked in gravy…yes please!
I actually made this chicken last week and I am already craving it again! I think it’ll be on the menu for tomorrow night. When I made it last week, it was for this blog post and my kids and I ate it all before my husband ever got any so now this post is evidence and I’ll have to make it for him again! 🙂
Parmesan Crusted Chicken with Pan Gravy
For the Chicken
- 4 Chicken breast cutlets (or 2 chicken breasts split in half and pounded thinly)
- 1/2 cup plain breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese (grated or shredded is fine)
- 1/2 tsp EACH - garlic powder, pepper
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp olive oil
For the Gravy
- 3 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 large garlic clove (chopped finely)
- 1/2 tsp EACH - salt, pepper
- 14 ounces chicken broth or stock
- First you'll want to make sure that your chicken pieces are thin enough so they cook all the way through. If you bought chicken cutlets, they should be thin enough. If you bought chicken breasts, split then in half and just make sure they are about 1/2 inch thick.
- In a shallow dish, combine your bread crumbs, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, and pepper. (I like to use a paper plate so I can just toss it after)
- In a small bowl, whisk together your egg and the milk.
- Heat your olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat while you prepare the chicken.
- Now dip your chicken pieces in the egg mixture and then dip them into the breadcrumb mixture. Make sure you press the breadcrumbs/cheese into the chicken so it stick well.
- Once the oil in the pan is hot, (see my notes below on how to tell) add in your chicken pieces. I just add two pieces at a time. Cook the chicken pieces for about 5-6 minutes per side. The chicken should be browned and crispy and cooked throughout. (You can cut a little slit in your biggest piece to check)
- Set the chicken pieces aside on a rack or paper towel while you make the gravy. You could also put them on warm in the oven but the gravy is pretty quick so I usually don't do that.
Making the Gravy
- Pour the excess oil out of your pan and add it back over medium heat.
- Add in your butter and garlic and stir until the butter is completely melted.
- Once the butter is melted, add in the flour and stir together until it makes a paste. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add in your salt and pepper and chicken broth and whisk together until it starts to bubble. Once bubbling cook for another 2 minutes until it starts to thicken.
- I like to serve this chicken with a side of mashed potatoes and pour the gravy over all of it!