Making an Easy Turkey Gravy with Drippings only takes a few minutes and is so much better than jarred or from a packet. If you’re making your turkey this Thanksgiving, this gravy recipe will take it over the top!
How to make turkey gravy from drippings:
The first thing you need is flavorful drippings! If you used either my slow cooked turkey breast or my full turkey recipe, you’re off to a great start! You’ll need 2 cups of drippings. If you’re a little short, you can top it off with some broth or even water. Now here’s my little secret. I always add 1 tablespoon of soy sauce to my drippings. The gravy does NOT have an “Asian” flavor but it adds a nice color and great flavor!
If your gravy is VERY oily, you can skim some of that oil off the top with a spoon and discard it but I usually just leave it alone if it’s not too much. This is just the strained drippings from my slow cooked turkey breast so it’s not very fatty.
Set the drippings aside and add the butter to a sauce pan with high sides (so your gravy doesn’t overflow)! Melt the butter than stir in the flour. You’re going to cook the flour for a couple minutes then slowly add in the drippings while stirring.
Once you stir and combine everything, it should be nice and smooth. Bring the gravy to a slow bubble and cook it for about 5 more minutes.
The turkey gravy will thicken up as you cook it. If it’s too thick, you can add a little water. If it’s too thin, just keep it bubbling. It will thicken as it cools.
Serve warm with your turkey and enjoy!!
Easy Turkey Gravy with Drippings
- 2 cups turkey drippings
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Add 4 tablespoons of butter to a high-sided sauce pan and melt.
- Add in the flour and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add in the turkey drippings and whisk as you add.
- Whisk until smooth and bring to a low simmer.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed (I usually don't need to add any because the drippings and soy sauce already have a good amount of flavor!)
- Allow to simmer for 5 minutes then serve warm.