This crispy baked Chicken Parmesan is an easy, lighter version of the classic, with all the flavor of the original.
Let’s face it, chicken breasts can be a bit boring. Except when they’re breaded of course! When cooked properly, golden, crispy breaded chicken stays tender and juicy, whether baked or fried.
And topped with tomato sauce and melty cheese, Chicken Parmesan is a breaded chicken recipe that’s totally irresistible. Seriously, there are few meals that my whole family gets excited about, and this is one of them.
Pan frying is the usual cooking method for making Chicken Parmesan, but baking is a little healthier and, with a couple of tips, will still give you golden crispy chicken. See this post for crispy baked buffalo chicken tenders for more tips on keeping baked breaded chicken crispy.
Tips for Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Panko breadcrumbs: These light and crispy breadcrumbs get less soggy and help chicken stay crispier than regular breadcrumbs.
- Cooking spray: Spray the coated chicken with cooking spray (I like an olive oil spray for this) before baking to seal in the crunch, and help prevent the sauce from making the breading soggy.
- Lots of Parmesan: This is Chicken Parmesan after all! The high ratio of Parmesan to breadcrumbs in the breading keeps the coating from getting soggy.
Can I fry Chicken Parmesan instead of baking?
Yes! I sometimes bake and sometimes fry this recipe and it works great either way.
To fry the chicken, go ahead and coat the pieces as described below. Then heat 1/3 cup of vegetable or canola oil over medium-high heat until shimmering. Cook the chicken two pieces at a time, for about 3-4 minutes per side until golden.
Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate for a minute before transferring to a baking sheet to top with the sauce and cheese. Continue with the recipe as below.
How to Make Crispy Baked Chicken Parmesan
- Preheat the oven to 400 F. Slice two chicken breasts in half horizontally so you end up with four thinner pieces.
- Place a sheet of plastic wrap over the chicken and pound it to equal thickness – about 1/2 an inch thick. This will help the chicken cook more quickly and stay juicier. Season both sides with salt and pepper.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together one egg and a tablespoon of flour until well blended.
4. In a shallow dish, combine the panko bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, oregano, and garlic powder.
5. Dip each chicken piece into the egg and flour mixture, coating completely and shaking off the excess.
6. Dredge each piece in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to adhere. Spray a foil-lined baking sheet with cooking spray and place the chicken onto it. Spray the chicken with cooking spray. Bake at 400 F for 15-18 minutes until cooked through. Flip the chicken over.
7. Turn on the broiler. Top each piece with a large spoonful of tomato or marinara sauce.
8. Sprinkle with mozzarella and parmesan. Broil for 3-4 minutes, watching it carefully, until the cheese is golden brown and bubbly.
9. Sprinkle with chopped fresh basil and serve right away. We love to serve this over pasta with more sauce, or with a green salad on the side for a lighter option.
Baked Chicken Parmesan
- 2 large chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup tomato or marinara sauce warmed
- chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Slice the chicken breasts horizontally to get 4 thinner pieces. Cover them with plastic wrap and pound to 1/2 inch thick. Season on both sides with salt and pepper.
- Beat the egg and flour together in a bowl, and, in a shallow dish, combine the Parmesan, bread crumbs, garlic powder, and oregano.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and spray with cooking spray. Dredge each chicken cutlet first in the flour and egg mixture, shaking off the excess. Then dredge in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing to make sure the crumbs adhere, and transfer to the prepared baking sheet. Spray the chicken with cooking spray.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and bake for 15-18 minutes, just until the chicken is cooked through. Turn on the broiler.
- Flip the chicken and spread about 2 tablespoons of warm sauce over each piece. Sprinkle each piece with 1/4 cup of mozzarella and 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese.
- Broil until the cheese is melted and starting to bubble and brown, about 3-4 minutes. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve.
Hi! I’m Ann and I blog at Our Happy Mess. I’m all about fast, fresh, and family-friendly recipes. I believe cooking from scratch can not only be doable but FUN, no matter how busy life gets!
You can find more of my recipes at Our Happy Mess.