This Guava BBQ sauce is sweet and tangy and goes well smothered on pretty much anything you’d normally eat with bbq sauce! All it takes is 15 minutes from start to finish and you have a delicious island inspired bbq sauce.
I have a bit of an obsession with all things guava and have wanted to try this guava bbq for some time. It was a recipe that’s been looming in my head and I was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out! I’m so excited for you all to try it and keep it stocked in the fridge like we do!
How to make Guava BBQ Sauce:
It’s so simple! All of the ingredients (listed in the recipe card below) get added to a sauce pan. I like to use guava preserves for the guava portion, there’s no need to cut anything, or add any extra sugar since the preserves are already sweet and flavorful! You can usually find this in the International aisle of your grocery store.
Once added to the pan, you’ll stir everything together and let it simmer for 15 minutes as it thickens up. This sauce is pretty thick and sticky so watch out for splattering. I like to stir this with oven mitts on just in case!
That’s it! That’s the whole recipe…super easy right?! I like to either use it right away while it’s still warm or let it cool completely before putting in an air tight container to refrigerate.
What goes well with Guava BBQ Sauce?
You can use this bbq sauce in place of pretty much anywhere you’d use a regular bbq sauce! I love to use it with these slow cooker country ribs!
Here is the finished sauce, you can see the little flecks of minced garlic in there and how much it thickens up!
Guava BBQ Sauce
- 11 ounce jar of guava preserves
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1/4 cup water
- Add all of the ingredients to a small sauce pan and stir until combined.
- Heat over medium heat until simmering and continue to simmer for 15 minutes while stirring frequently. (Be sure to wear an oven mitt while stirring since this sauce can splatter.)
- After the 15 minutes, the sauce should be nice and thick. Use immediately or allow to cool before storing in the fridge.