These bacon brown sugar green beans are pretty much the best green beans I’ve ever had. I made them a while back for the first time and I was in love.
I was actually under the impression that I hated green beans when I was a kid. Someone (who shall remain nameless) only ever served me green beans from a can. Sooooo when I had fresh green beans, I couldn’t get enough of them. THEN when I tried fresh green beans with bacon and brown sugar…game changer! This definitely isn’t your every day “figure-friendly” green bean recipe but it’s still a veggie and that counts for something right?!
These green beans are insanely good! They are smothered with savory bacon and sweet brown sugar and seasoned to perfection. They will definitely be a hit with your family as much as they are with mine!
(See video below for step by step instructions!!)
Bacon & Brown Sugar Green Beans
- 1 lb fresh green beans (ends trimmed)
- 6 slices of bacon (cut into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 tsp each: salt, pepper, garlic powder
- Bring a pot of water to boil and boil your green beans for 5-8 minutes. (5 if you like them very crisp)
- Remove the green beans from the boiling water and set aside to drain on a paper towel. (You don't want them to be too wet or it will splatter like crazy when you add it to the bacon mixture)
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook your bacon pieces until they are slightly underdone then drain off the bacon grease.
- Bring the skillet with the bacon back to the heat and add your butter, brown sugar, and seasonings and stir until everything is melted together. (Just about 2 minutes)
- Add your green beans to the skillet and toss to coat with the bacon mixture.