This Summer Berry Trifle is made with pound cake, fresh summer berries, and a cream cheese pudding filling that’s so rich and creamy!
A trifle is the perfect dessert for feeding a crowd! This one feeds about 15-20 people depending on serving size and it’s such a refreshing Summer dessert! We like to serve this for Memorial Day and 4th of July when we have lots of family and friends over!
Can this trifle be made ahead of time:
Yes!! You can make this trifle up to 3 days in advance! Using pound cake makes it hold up much better than it would with angel food cake which tends to get soggy.
This Summer Berry Trifle starts with fresh berries. Set a few berries aside for the decorating the top of the trifle then mix the rest up with some sugar, lime or lemon juice, and cornstarch to make them super juicy and flavorful! You can set aside the berries while you prep the pudding mixture.
After prepping the berries, you can make the pudding mixture. I like to use cheesecake pudding for an extra flavor punch! You could also use vanilla if you prefer. Mix the pudding together with softened cream cheese and milk then it’s ready for assembly!
Last but not least, I like to cut the pound cake into about 1 inch cubes. You could use angel food cake if you’d like but the pound cake is much sturdier and doesn’t get as mushy. I just use 2 Entenmann’s butter loafs.
Once you’ve prepped the berries, pudding, and pound cake, you’re ready to assemble! If you don’t have a trifle dish, you can use any large, high-sided dish large enough to hold the ingredients. This is the one I have in the photos. I start with a layer of pound cake, then pudding, then berries. repeat this twice then top the trifle with a whole tub of cool whip and fresh berries.
How to store the berry trifle:
You can wrap the dish with plastic wrap and keep it in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Summer Berry Trifle
- Trifle Dish
- 32 ounce package of fresh strawberries
- 2 cups fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 (8 ounce) package of softened cream cheese
- 2 (3.4 ounce) packages of instant pudding (cheesecake flavor)
- 3 and ½ cups milk
- 2 (11.5 ounce) Entenmann's butter loaf pound cakes
- 1 (8 ounce) tub of cool whip
- Set a few berries aside for decorating the top then add the rest of your berries to a bowl and mix in the sugar, cornstarch, and lime juice. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add the softened cream cheese to a large bowl. (you can just microwave It for 30-45 seconds to soften it). Beat just the cream cheese with a hand mixer until completely smooth.
- Add in the pudding packages, and the milk. Use the hand mixer to blend this all together with the cream cheese until smooth. Set Aside.
- Cut the pound cake into about 1 inch cubes.
- Add the ingredients to the trifle dish in layers in this order: pound cake, pudding, berries. Do this 2 times.
- After the last layer of berries, top everything with the whole tub of cool whip and decorating with your remaining fresh berries.
- Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for up to 3 days.