Thank you Libby’s for sponsoring this post.
This easy and quick corn chowder is such a comforting and hearty weeknight meal. It’s made with Libby’s Vegetables to make it extra speedy and perfect for back-to-school time and cozy evenings!
How to make quick corn chowder:
I decided to make this using a few different vegetables from Libby’s Vegetables. I used whole kernel corn because, of course, this is corn chowder. And I also decided to use a can of their creamed corn to add some more corn flavor and a creamier texture. And then I also opted for sliced carrots instead of having to cook potatoes in this soup. We love carrots and always keep Libby’s Sliced Carrots around to add in to dishes for a little extra nutritious kick. 🙂
This chowder starts with BACON! it gives the entire pot of soup so much flavor. It gets cooked in the pot and then remove for topping the soup with when it’s time to serve.
Can you substitute the bacon in corn chowder?
If you want to speed this dish up even more, you could also buy a package of pre-diced ham and just toss that in with the onions at the same time. I like the flavor of the bacon but ham would be a great substitute and save you a few more minutes of cutting and cooking.
After removing the cooked bacon, sauté the onions and garlic in the same pan, adding the remaining ingredients, including Libby’s Vegetables. By the way, using sliced carrots is a big part of why this recipe is so quick! Raw carrots take forever to soften in soup!
The soup is now almost completely done! How easy was that?! It just needs to simmer for a few minutes and thicken up! Instead of having to wait forever for the soup to reduce down and spend forever stirring, this quick corn chowder uses cornstarch to thicken it quickly and easily. You just mix the cornstarch with a little extra milk and add it to the soup.
And that’s it! This soup is so quick and easy and perfect for those busy evenings when a comforting soup just makes everything better!
Libby’s Vegetables can keep your family happy and healthy and help you create simple, healthy, flavorful solutions to Back to School. Recreate this back to school recipe and learn more about Libby’s Vegetables
Quick Corn Chowder
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 small yellow onion (diced)
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 can Libby's CREAM style sweet corn (14.75 ounce)
- 1 can Libby's WHOLE kernel sweet corn (15.25 ounce)
- 1 can Libby's sliced carrots (14.5 ounce)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
To thicken the soup:
- 3 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat.
- Slice your bacon into small bite-sized pieces and add to the pot. Cook until the bacon is browned and crispy.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the bacon. Place it on a plate lined with paper towels to drain the grease and set it aside for topping the soup later.
- Add your diced onion to the bacon drippings and cook until the onions are soft. (about 5 minutes)
- Add In the garlic and cook for just 1 more minute.
- Add in the Libby's CREAM style sweet corn, WHOLE kernel sweet corn, and sliced carrots, chicken broth, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Bring everything up to a simmer and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Whisk the 1/2 cup milk with the cornstarch in a separate cup and then pour into the soup. Stir together and summer for 5 more minutes.
- Serve with the bacon crumbles and enjoy!