You guys! These pumpkin spice pinwheels are going to be the easiest little Fall treat you’ll ever bake! Not only are they ridiculously easy, but they only have 4 ingredients.
If you’ve ever had an “elephant ear” pastry, these are very similar in texture. They have that flaky pastry goodness combined with caramelized sugar and spices. They are lightly crisp on the outside and soft and sweet on the inside. Basically, they are perfection. I kid you not when I say this…when I first made these pumpkin spice pinwheels, I ate almost the entire batch. (Other than the few my 2 year-old son happened to pry from my hands).
The pumpkin spice pinwheels start with a store-bought puff pastry sheet and get rolled out onto a sprinkle of sugar. Then it gets topped with the sugar and cinnamon/pumpkin spice mixture.
Then they get rolled up, sliced, and baked. It doesn’t get any easier than that!
Pumpkin Spice Pinwheels
- 1 sheet puff pastry (I use Pepperidge Farm)
- 1/2 cup sugar (divided)
- 1 tsp pumpkin spice seasoning
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Pre-heat your oven to 450 degrees.
- Thaw the puff pastry but keep it cold. (You can just leave it on the counter for about 20 minutes and it should be soft enough to work with but still cold)
- On a large cutting board or countertop, sprinkle 1/4 cup of sugar to lay your puff pastry on.
- Unfold the puff pastry on top of the sugar.
- Mix together the other 1/4 sugar and cinnamon and pumpkin spice and sprinkle on top of the puff pastry.
- Using a rolling pin, roll out the puff pastry to about 1/8 inch thick. (tip: if you don't have a rolling pin, you can totally use a wine bottle). This will also press the sugar mixture into the pastry.
- Roll up the puff pastry in one direction (it shouldn't matter which way you go since the puff pastry is a square) and, using a sharp knife, slice into pieces about 1/2 inch thick.
- Lay on parchment paper about an inch apart. If you have any extra sugar laying on your board, go ahead and sprinkle it on top of your pinwheels.
- Bake for 7 minutes. After 7 minutes, carefully flip them over and bake for another 7 minutes. (Total: 14)
- Let cool on the baking sheet then remove and enjoy!