This Old Fashioned Apple Crisp is an easy yet comforting dessert consisting of tart apples and warm spices. It’s made with melted butter and oats for a super crispy topping.
As an amazon associate, I may earn commissions from qualifying purchases from Amazon.com. This comes at no cost to you.
How to make apple crisp
You want to first start by peeling, coring, and cutting your apples into cubes.(If you want to make it easier, you can order an apple peeler here.) I make my apple cubes about 1/2 – 1 inch in size so it’s easy to eat.
What are the best apples for apple crisp:
Apple crisp contains a good amount of sugar so the tartness of the apples keeps this from being overly sweet. Granny smith apples are the absolute best for this recipe. You can use what you have on hand but a nice tart apple like granny smith is definitely the best!
After you’ve diced your apples, you can add the remaining filling ingredients and stir everything together until the apples are coated. Then you can add the apple filling to a greased 9×13 dish.
Once you’ve made the apple filling and added it to your baking dish, you can start the topping…the best part in my opinion!
Old Fashioned Apple Crisp
- 10 cups diced granny smith apples (about 8 or 9 large apples)
- ½ cup white sugar
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1 and ½ teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 and ¼ cups brown sugar
- 1 and ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 and ½ cups all purpose flour
- ¾ cup melted butter
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Pre-heat your oven to 350° and grease a 9x13 dish with either non-stick spray or butter.
- Peel, core, and dice the apples into ½ - 1 inch cubes.10 cups diced granny smith apples
- Toss the apples with the remaining filling ingredients.½ cup white sugar, ¼ cup all purpose flour, 1 and ½ teaspoons cinnamon, 1 tablespoon lemon juice, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Add the filling ingredients to the prepared baking dish.
- Add all of the topping ingredients except the butter to a large bowl and mix together.1 and ¼ cups brown sugar, 1 and ½ cups rolled oats, 1 and ½ cups all purpose flour, ½ teaspoon nutmeg, ¼ teaspoon salt, 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Melt the butter and slowly drizzle it into the topping mixture while stirring gently with a fork.¾ cup melted butter
- Once you see no more white flour, sprinkle the crisp topping over the apples in the baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered for 45 minutes then allow to cool for about 15 minutes. Serve with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream!