This Mediterranean Chicken Bake is a healthy and delicious meal in one dish! You have your meat, veggies, and a yummy dipping sauce all in one! The sauce is flavored with lemon, garlic, and spices and has so much flavor!
We’ve been trying to incorporate more veggies into our diet over here so the easier I can do that, the better! This Mediterranean Chicken Bake was a winner for everyone! I just pulled the meat off the bones for the kids and it was so moist and flavorful. I will admit, they are more bread with dipping sauce than veggies but I tried!
How to make Mediterranean Chicken Bake:
The first step is to marinate the chicken. You can technically skip this if you’re super short on time but I would HIGHLY recommend marinating. It gives the chicken so much more flavor.
Here are the marinade ingredients:
- 2-3 pounds of dark meat chicken
- Zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- 6 large garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons of honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each: salt, pepper, paprika
- 2 heaping tablespoons of fresh chopped parsley
The easiest way to marinade the chicken is just to add everything to a zip-top bag and set on a plate in the fridge (in case of leaks).
When you’re ready to bake the chicken, prepare a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray and then add in the sweet potatoes and onions on the bottom.
Next, add the marinated chicken and all of the marinade from the bag and the chicken stock to the baking dish. This will be the yummy dipping sauce!
You can then add all the other softer veggies around the chicken. Try to keep most of the chicken exposed so the skin will get nice and crispy in the oven. If you like your veggies to stay firm, you can skip this step and add them in when the chicken just has 20 minutes left in the oven.
Bake the dish in the oven at 350 degrees uncovered. Once it’s done, I let it rest for just 10 minutes then serve!
Mediterranean Chicken Bake
Marinade / sauce ingredients:
- 2-3 pounds dark meat chicken (I use a mix of legs and thighs)
- zest and juice from 1 large lemon
- 6 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon each salt, pepper, paprika
- 2 heaping tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- 1 large sweet potato (diced into 1" cubed)
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2 handfuls cherry tomatoes (a little less than a pint)
- about 20 kalamata olives
- 1 yellow squash (cut into 1" pieces)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- extra salt for the veggies
- 3/4 cup chicken broth or stock
- Add the chicken and the marinade ingredients to a large zip-top bag and set in the fridge overnight or at least for 4 hours.
- When you're ready to cook the dish, pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray a 9x13 with non-stick spray.
- Add the sweet potatoes and onions to the baking dish and toss with 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Add the chicken broth, marinated chicken and all of the marinade on top of the potatoes and onions.
- Place the tomatoes, squash, and olives around the chicken then sprinkle with a little extra salt.
- Bake, uncovered for 50-60 minutes.
- Let rest for 10 minutes then serve with bread for dipping in the yummy sauce!