This Easy Chicken Pot Pie might use a few short cuts but it definitely does not skimp on flavor! It’s a full meal in one with your chicken, veggies, and crust and also makes amazing left-overs!
I have made chicken pot pie in the past and always get annoyed with the amount of dishes it takes. Cooking the chicken, boiling the veggies, making a pie crust, making the sauce, and then the pie plate…WAY too much!! So I wanted to simplify it a little bit without sacrificing any of the flavor. It turned out perfectly and no one will ever have to know that we sneaked in a few shortcuts!
So you’re still going to need a pot on the stove and a pie plate but that’s it. We’re going to use a bag of frozen mixed vegetables and a rotisserie chicken and you’ll never go back!
Here’s how to make an EASY chicken pot pie:
First step is to grab a bag of frozen mixed veggies and throw it in the microwave…phew! So much easier than boiling and draining and cleaning another pot! The only trick to this is cooking it for a little less time than what the package says so they don’t get mushy in the pot pie.
While the vegetables are cooking, it’s time to make the filling. Add the butter, onions, and garlic to a pan and sauté on medium-low until they begin to soften.
Then the flour goes in and coats the onions and garlic in a sticky paste that has magical powers! This is called a roux and is the beginning of a lot of great cream sauces!
After coating the onions and garlic in the flour, you’ll add in the broth, cream and seasonings. Let it bubble on gentle heat until the sauce is thick enough to coat the spatula.
Next you’ll add in the partially steamed veggies and this chicken. I like to use a rotisserie chicken for this recipe. It’s just the right amount and it saves so much time! If you want to cook your own chicken, you’ll need about 3 cups or 3 small chicken breasts.
After stirring the veggies and chicken into the sauce, everything gets spooned into a pie crust. I use a store-bought double pie crust to save even more time in this recipe but if you’d like to make your own crust, here is a great pie crust recipe.
Lay the second pie crust on top of the filling and cut a few small slits in the crust to let the steam out while it bakes.
Optional egg wash: You don’t have to do this but it makes the finished product look so much nicer. It deepens the golden color of the crust and also give it a slight shine. It’s just one egg beaten with 1 tablespoon of water. Whisk it up and brush it on.
And that’s it! It’s ready to bake and enjoy at this point.
Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- 9" pie plate
- 1 double refrigerated pie crust (Or this homemade pie crust)
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 3 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups cooked, diced chicken (I use a rotisserie)
- 1 pound Steam-in-bag of frozen mixed veggies (I use corn, peas, carrots, and green beans from Wellsley Farms)
- 1 egg (for the optional egg wash)
- Pre-heat your oven to 375 degrees and lay one of the pie crusts in the bottom of a 9" pie plate.
- Place your frozen veggie bag in the microwave for 2 minutes less than what the instructions on the bag say. This prevents them from being over-cooked in the pot pie.
- While your vegetables are cooking, heat a large skillet on the stove over medium-low heat.
- Add the 1/4 cup (half a stick) of butter and the onion and garlic to the skillet. Cook slowly until the onions begin to soften. Do not let the garlic brown.
- Once the onions have softened, add in the flour and stir until everything is combined and looks like a paste.
- Add in the chicken broth and stir until you have no more lumps.
- Add in the heavy cream and the seasonings.
- Stir over medium heat until the sauce bubbles and is thick enough to coat the spatula
- Remove the sauce from the heat and add in the vegetables and the cooked chicken. Stir to coat everything in the sauce.
- Pour the mixture over the bottom crust in the pie plate.
- Top with the remaining pie crust and use a knife to cut small slits in the top crust.
- Optional for a golden shiny crust - Beat together 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of water and brush over the top of the pie crust.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
- Allow to rest out of the oven for 15 minutes before enjoying!