When I say easy…I mean easy! This apple pie bread pudding only takes about 10 minutes to prep and then it’s ready for baking and devouring! Top it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and some caramel sauce and you have a decadent dessert that’ll feed a crowd!
How to make easy apple pie bread pudding:
Bread pudding typically starts with stale bread. I use a large french loaf and just leave it on the counter for a few days. This is also a great recipe to use with left over hotdog and hamburger buns from parties. (Somehow we always end up with a ton of those after a party and this is the perfect way to use them up!)
How to quickly make stale bread:
If you only have fresh bread, cut it into cubes and bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes. It’ll be done when it’s hardened and dried out. Stale bread helps the bread pudding from being absolute mush and gives it a much better texture.
After cutting the bread, you can make the milk/egg mixture. It gets whisked together then you’re ready to assemble.
Spray a casserole dish with non-stick spray and add in half of the bread, then the full can of apple pie filling, then the rest of the bread. I decided to use canned apple pie mix in this recipe because it saves so much time! I’m usually making this dish in a hurry for a crowd and it’s just as yummy this way! Give yourself a little grace and use the canned apples! 🙂 It’s what makes this EASY apple pie bread pudding after all! (ps…this is NOT sponsored but I’ve found that “Lucky Leaf” brand has the most whole apple pieces per can!)
After topping with the remaining bread, the milk and egg mixture gets poured over everything. Make sure you press down all of the bread with your clean hands (or a spatula if you’re civilized) and make sure all of the bread has absorbed some of the mixture.
Bake the bread pudding in the oven until the center is no longer liquidy and the top is golden brown. In my opinion, you HAVE to serve this with a scoop of ice cream and some caramel sauce (click here for a homemade caramel) but it’s up to you to devour as you see fit!
Easy Apple Pie Bread Pudding
- 9x13 inch pan
- Non-stick spray
- 1 loaf of stale french bread (see notes)°
- 1 (21 ounce can) apple pie filling
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk (any % is fine)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- vanilla ice cream for serving (optional)
- Caramel sauce for serving RECIPE (optional)
- Pre-heat your oven to 375° and spray a 9x13 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- Cut your bread into 1" cubes and place half of them in the casserole dish.
- Spoon the apple pie filling over the bread in the casserole dish then top with the remaining bread.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, apple pie spice, and brown sugar. Pour the mixture over the bread.
- Use your hands to press down the bread until there are no more dry pieces.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and a drizzle of caramel sauce!