This Creamy Tomato Basil Soup is easy and I’m going to show you how I made it tonight (in the slow cooker) and I’ll let you know how you can make it over the stove too if you want to speed it up a little bit.
So I make mine in the slow cooker so I can leave it alone for a while and not think about it. In the notes down below, I’ll let you know how I’ve made it on the stove top as well.
In the slow cooker, add in your tomatoes (liquid and all), chicken broth, chopped yellow onion, chopped garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
When the 4 hours is up, add your basil leaves. Now it’s time to blend the soup. I use an immersion blender. If you don’t have one, HERE’S the one that I use. It’s an amazing little tool! You’ll appreciate it if you have to pour the hot soup into the blender. Stay safe! (see my notes below on how to stay safe with the regular stand blender). So either use your immersion blender or pour the soup into the blender and blend until smooth.
After the soup is blended (add it back to the slow cooker if you used a blender), add your cream and and stir to combine. (By the way, So sorry that the photos in this post aren’t great! My camera is taking a visit to the repair shop in the morning so say a little prayer!) After adding in your cream, cover the soup and cook for 30 more minutes. And you’re done!
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
- 3 - 14.5 ounce cans of diced fire-roasted tomatoes (I use Hunts)
- 2 cups of chicken broth
- 6 cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup chopped basil
- Bread or croutons for dipping optional
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese for topping
- Add tomatoes, chicken broth, onions, garlic, salt, pepper, and sugar to the slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours.
- After the 4 hours, add in the chopped basil leaves.
- Using either an immersion blender or a stand blender, blend soup until smooth.
- (If you used a regular stand blender return the soup to the slow cooker)
- After blended, add in the cream.
- Stir to combine.
- Cook for 30 more minutes.
- Top with the parmesan cheese and enjoy!! (I like to serve mine with croutons and a little extra basil on top)