The first time I made these little pies was for my husband and I’s first Valentines Day after our daughter was born. We didn’t feel like leaving the house (probably because we were so sleep deprived) and decided to make a nice dinner at home and just relax. We have definitely had our fair share of eating out and dressing up for dinners but sometimes I just love the simplicity of a meal made at home. Now our little ones are 4 and almost 2 and every once in a while we put them to bed and enjoy a late night dinner date at home. These little pies are perfect for these date nights! They’re so easy, you can make them a day ahead of time, they’re even great for school lunch treats! And you really can make with any shape cookie-cutter that you have!
They start off with the cream cheese mixture which is just cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla. You cant’ go wrong with that!
The crust is just a store bought pie crust! It doesn’t get any easier than this! They come 2 per box but I just use one of the crusts and freeze the other one for later. You can easily double this recipe and make more pies to share with the kids though! If you’re looking for a heart shaped cookie cutter, HERE’S one that would work great!
The pies get filled with your cream cheese filling and some store-bought pie filling. I have made these before with fresh fruit but this is honestly just so much quicker and easier and there’s just something about those store-bought pie fillings that so gooey and delicious!
Now before I put the top crust on, I like to take my fingers and just spread it out a little thinner and wider so it will cover over all that filling and still reach the edges. Seal the edges with a little of your beaten egg using your finger, then they get dusted with a little sugar.
When they come out of the oven, they will be perfect little crispy pockets of goodness!
Cherry Cream Cheese Hand Pies
- 1 Store bought pie crust (They come 2 per box so you can freeze the 2nd one for later!)
- 4 ounces cream cheese (softened)
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- A sprinkle of flour for dusting your work surface
- 3/4 cup canned cherry pie filling (You can sub any flavor!)
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Pre-heat your oven to 400 degrees.
- In a small bowl, mix together your cream cheese, 2 tbsp of sugar, and vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Sprinkle a little bit of flour on your counter or a board large enough to hold your pie crust and unroll your pie crust onto the flour. I only use one of the pie crusts that comes in the box. You can freeze the other one for another time!
- I use a rolling pin and roll my dough a little bit thinner. I just like makes the dough a little bit easier to work with.
- Using your cookie cutter, cut out as many pieces as you can. I used a 3" heart for these and I cut out 12 (for 6 total pies). You can keep squeezing together the scraps and re-rolling them to get as many cut-outs as you can. Just make sure you are flouring your surface so the dough doesn't stick.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicon mats and lay out your cut-outs.
- Spoon 1 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture onto half of them (The other half will be the tops of the pies)
- Then take a heaping tbsp of the pie filling and spoon it on top of the cream cheese mixture. Try to stay clear of the edges as best you can.
- I do this next part with my hands because I've found it to be the easiest way. Just take your finger, dip it in the beaten egg and run it around the inside edge of of each pie then place the remaining pie pieces on top to cover and seal each pie. You can either just press the edges tightly together or use a fork to crimp the sides.
- Brush the tops of each pie with a little bit of the egg wash and then sprinkle each pie with sugar.
- Cut 2 slits in the top of each pie. This lets the steam out as they cook so they don't burst or get soggy.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown. The filling will be extremely hot so make sure you allow them to cool slightly before eating.