These Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings are such a crowd pleaser! We love chicken wings but deep frying is never fun. It’s messy and smells up the house but baked wings can often come out mushy or fatty. These are neither of those things! They are so crispy and easily baked in the oven with a special trick!
How to make CRISPY baked chicken wings:
- Make sure you start with very dry chicken wings. Pat them dry with paper towels until they are completely dry.
- Coat them with baking powder (NOT SODA) before baking. (This is the special trick!) I’m not a scientist so I won’t pretend that I know how this works…but something scientific happens and…BOOM super crispy wings!
- Let the fat render off in the oven.
My husband and I love chicken wings when we go out to eat but those are the yummy deep fried bad-for-you wings that I never make at home. I’ve also had baked wings numerous times and am always left disappointed. So after researching and trying different methods, I can promise you that these BAKED Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings are the answer to all of your soggy-wing-problems!
These wings can be made with any sauce that you like but for this recipe I’m sharing my favorite – the garlic parmesan sauce!
The first thing you’ll do is make sure that your wings are very dry! This is a big step in the crisping process so don’t skip it. You can lay them out and pat them dry with a paper towels. (I totally forgot to take a photo of this part…probably because I had raw chicken juice on my hands). Then you’ll put them in a zip top bag and sprinkle in the baking powder (NOT BAKING SODA) and seasonings.
You’ll then line a baking sheet with foil to catch the drippings and make clean-up easier and place a baking rack on top of that. Make sure you spray the baking rack or brush with oil so avoid sticking.
The wings then go in the oven at a low temperature (see full recipe below) then get brought to a high temperature for the remainder of the cooking time. You are totally going to be blown away at how crispy these turn out!
How long to bake chicken wings:
The chicken wings go in the oven at a 250 degrees for 30 minutes and then at 450 degrees for 45 minutes.
Once the wings are finished baking, you can toss the wings in the garlic parmesan sauce (recipe below) to coat them and enjoy!
How to make garlic parmesan wing sauce:
- Add butter and minced garlic to a saucepan and cook over low heat until butter is melted.
- Turn off the heat and add in freshly grated parmesan cheese and parsley and salt.
- Pour the sauce over freshly cooked wings that are still hot and toss to coat.
Baked Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings
Crispy chicken wings
- 2 pounds chicken wings
- 1/4 cup baking powder (NOT baking SODA)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
Garlic Parmesan Sauce
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Cooking the wings
- Pre-heat your oven to 250 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil and place a baking rack on top of the foil. Spray the rack with a cooking spray or brush with canola oil if you don't have spray.
- Pat the wings dry (this is very important for crispy wings) and add them to a zip-top bag.
- To the bag, add the baking powder, salt, and garlic powder. Close the bag and shake to coat the wings.
- Place the wings on the oiled baking rack (skin side up) and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- After the 30 minutes, increase the temperature to 450 degrees. Cook for 45 minutes.
Making the sauce
- Add the butter, garlic, and salt to a saucepan and cook on low until the butter is melted. (about 5 minutes)
- Once melted, add the parmesan cheese and the parsley and stir to combine.
- When the wings are done, remove from the oven and let them cool for about 5 minutes. .
- Add the wings to a heat safe bowl. Pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat. Serve immediately